KARL WHITEHOUSE LOOKS AT THE HISTORY OF WOLVES V LIVERPOOL
- The first meeting of the two clubs was in Division 1 on 29th September 1894 at Molineux in front of 4,000 fans, the game finished 3-1 win for Wolves.
- FA Cup – The first meeting was on the 15th February 1896 which was in the 2nd Round of the competition played at Molineux in front of 15,000 fans, the final score was a 2-0 win for Wolves.
- League Cup – The first meeting of the two clubs was on the 19th December 1973 which was in the quarter final of the competition played at Molineux in front of 15,242 fans the game finished 1-0 win for Wolves.
- Premier League – The first meeting of the two clubs was on the 21st January 2004 which was played at Molineux in front of 29,380 fans and the game finished 1-1.
MOST RECENT MEETINGS
- Premier League – The most recent game was on the 22nd May 2022 which was at Anfield in front of 53,097 fans the game finished 3-1 win for Liverpool with Pedro Neto scoring for Wolves and Sadio Mane, Mohammed Salah and Andy Robertson for Liverpool.
- FA Cup – The latest meeting was on the 7th January 2019 which was in the 3rd round of the competition, this was played at Molineux in front of 25,849 fans, the game ended in a 2-1 win for Wolves and the scorers of the game for Wolves were Raul Jimenez and Ruben Neves and Liverpool scorer was Divock Origi.
- Division 1 – The biggest win between the two clubs was on the 7th December 1946 and this was played at Anfield in front of 52,512 fans and the game ended in a 5-1 win for Wolves.
- Premier League – The biggest win between the two clubs and only win against Liverpool in the Premier league was played at Anfield on the 29th December 2010 in front of 41,614 fans, the game ended in a 1-0 win for Wolves and scorer for Wolves in that game was Stephen Ward.
- FA Cup – The biggest win was in a 5th Round tie played at Molineux in front of 61,315 fans on the 11th February 1939, the score was a 4-1 win for Wolves.
- Division 1 – Liverpool beat Wolves 6-0 twice! Firstly, on the 16th September 1963 at Anfield in front of 44,050 fans and secondly on 28th September 1968 at Molineux in front of 39,310 fans.
- Premier League – The biggest defeat between the sides was on the 6th December 2020 in front of 2,000 fans at Anfield due to Covid 19 restrictions, the game ended in a 4-0 win for Liverpool.
- FA Cup – The biggest defeat in the FA Cup was on the 2nd February 1952 which was a 4th Round Tie played at Anfield in front of 61,905, the game ended in a 2-1 win for Liverpool.
match of the day
There was two games close to the date of the upcoming game both played on 9th September. Firstly, in 1963 which was played at Molineux in front of 25,000 fans and ended in a win for Liverpool 3-1 and secondly, in 1972 which was played at Anfield in front of 43,386 fans and ended in a win for Liverpool 4-2.
There were two meetings between the sides in pre season friendlies which both were played at Molineux. The first one was played on the 20th July 1999 in front of 24,630 fans and it ended in 2-0 win for Liverpool and the 2nd meeting of the two sides was on the 3rd August 2001 in front of 28,000 fans and it ended in a 3-0 win for Liverpool.
do you remember?
Liverpool 1 Wolves 2 – 2016/17 – FA Cup fourth round
A thrilling match that many Wolves supporters, young and old, will still vividly recall.
One of the biggest surprises in recent FA Cup history was pulled off by Paul Lambert’s team, who travelled to Anfield as 12/1 underdogs.
After just 53 seconds, Richard Stearman gave Wolves the lead by heading in a free kick from Helder Costa. Additionally, Andreas Weimann was put through on goal by Costa to beat Loris Karius and double Wolves’ lead before halftime, sending an army of 8,300 travelling supporters wild.
Divock Origi scored late on to set up a frantic finale, but Wolves held on for a famous win.
head to head
Overall Head to Head
There has been 110 games in total.
Wolves have won 36 Games.
Liverpool have won 57 Games.
There has been 17 Draws.
Premier League Stats
There has been 16 Meetings between the two sides.
Wolves have won 1 game and this was away at Anfield
Liverpool have won 13 games with 7 Home wins and 6 Away Wins
There has been 2 draws between the sides
Wolves have scored 5 Goals
Liverpool have scored 28 Goals
Liverpool have now won all of the last 11 meetings in the Premier League.
PLAYING FOR BOTH TEAMS
Played for Wolves 1967-1968 made 22 appearances and scored 4 goals and played for Liverpool 1968-1972 made 79 appearances and scored 21 goals.
Played for Liverpool 1967-1979 made 474 appearances and scored 35 goals and played for Wolves 1979-1981 made 58 appearances and scored 2 goals.
Played for Liverpool 2015-2022 made 8 appearances and scored 0 goals and played for Wolves in a loan spell 2015-2016 made 17 appearances and scored 2 goals.
Played for Liverpool 1997-1999 made 65 appearances and scored 14 goals and played for Wolves 2002-2006 115 appearances and scored 10 goals.
Played for Wolves 1997-1999 made 73 appearances and scored 24 goals and played for Liverpool 2008-2009 made 19 appearances and scored 5 goals.
Played for Wolves 2017-2020 made 111 appearances and scored 33 goals which includes his 1 year loan spell and Plays for Liverpool at this current time and has been there since 2020 made 55 appearances ands a current goal tally of 24.
Played for Liverpool 2011-2014 made 1 appearance and played for Wolves 2015-2022 made 273 appearances and scored 6 goals.
ARTICLE BY KARL WHITEHOUSE
I have been a Wolves fan for over 30 years.
I have supported them both home and away games in the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s and now like looking into wolves games the stats behind the games they play in the premier league and also look other stats if asked by someone else in the podcast. I have also done the 92 football league grounds and shortly be doing a ebook about peoples favourite match they went to along with a match report and if possible stats from game