WE PREVIEW NEWCASTLE V WOLVES, WATCH THE VIDEO FOR OUR PREDICTIONS
Wolves forward Diego Costa will be out for 2-4 weeks with the knee injury he suffered against Tottenham last weekend. Boubacar Traore and Hwang Hee-chan, who have had respective groin and hamstring problems, will be given fitness tests.
Newcastle defender Fabian Schar is back in the squad after a head injury. Midfielder Joelinton will begin a two-match ban for amassing 10 yellow cards this season.
Lopetegui confirmed striker Diego Costa will miss two to four weeks with the knee injury he suffered against Tottenham.
On other injuries, he said a decision on the availability of Hwang Hee-chan and Boubacar Traore will be made on Saturday, but they could both make the squad.
Lopetegui praised Newcastle and described them as “one of the best teams in the Premier League”.
On it being a year since a centre-forward has scored a league goal for Wolves, he said: “I am worried about the team, not only the forwards.”
He added he was “sure” their forwards would score and “as soon as possible” for their confidence.
MATCH FACTS & STATS
- Newcastle’s only victory in their past 10 Premier League matches against Wolves came at home last season (D7, L2).
- Since their return to the Premier League in 2018, Wolves have conceded no more than one goal in all nine meetings.
- Nine of the 15 Premier League encounters between the sides have ended 1-1.
- Newcastle are without a win in five Premier League games, losing the last two.
- They have lost their last three matches in all competitions, all without scoring.
- The Magpies have scored just three goals in 2023, fewer than any other team in the top five European leagues.
- They have won one of their last four home league fixtures (D2, L1).
- However, they have conceded just eight league goals at St James’ Park this season, the joint-best defensive home record in the division.
- The only visiting teams to win a Premier League match at St James’ Park since Eddie Howe was appointed Newcastle manager in November 2021 are Liverpool and Manchester City.
- Callum Wilson has scored only one goal in his last 14 Newcastle appearances in all competitions.
- Wolves have amassed 17 points in 11 league matches under Julen Lopetegui, in contrast to eight points from their previous 11.
- They have won just two of their 13 away fixtures in this season’s Premier League.
- Wolves are the joint-lowest scorers in the division this season, alongside Everton, with 19 goals.
- Their one clean sheet in this season’s top flight is also the joint fewest.
- Wolves’ shot conversion rate of 6.6% is the lowest in the Premier League this season.
- Raul Jimenez has not scored a Premier League goal for over a year, spanning 19 games – but he has been directly involved in three goals (one goal and two assists) in his last three league appearances against Newcastle.
Referee: Andy Madley. Assistants: Harry Lennard, Nick Hopton. Fourth official: Craig Pawson. VAR: Tony Harrington. Assistant VAR:Constantine Hatzidakis.
The match will kick off at 4.30pm at St James’ Park on Sunday 12th March. The game will be live on Sky Sports.